Applications slow to start due to McAfee AV scan.
McAfee seems to slow the start of some applications
Posted: 7 Mar 06 (Edited 8 Mar 06)
Problem: Applications slow to start due to McAfee AV scan.
McAfee can be configured to scan all applications as they start. Many applications use Java(r) for some or all of their code. The .jre files when scanned by McAfee can slow the application startup considerably.
One method is to stop the McAfee service each time the application is started. This is effective if it is a seldom used application.
Another more effective method is to exclude certain directories from McAfee AV scan on application startup.
The following will show simple steps to vastly improve the performance of this application in this environment, by excluding the directories with the application and it's associated .jre files.
- Right mouse click on the My Computer Icon and select "Manage". On the left select Services and search the right pane for McAfee framework and stop the service.
- On the taskbar in the system tray right mouse click on the McAfee icon, and select VirusScan Console.
- Select "Unlock User Interface" using the appropriate password if locked
- Select the "On-Access Scanner" by Right-mouse clicking on it, then select Properties.
- Select the All Process icon then the Detection tab
- Select the Exclusions button at the bottom right
- A new window will open labeled "Set Exclusions" Scan on the left under the "Item" heading for the target folder e.g. C:\program Files\IBM or wherever the target program is installed on the PC. If it is not listed press the Add button.
- Browse to the appropriate folder and select OK
- Continue to press OK until you are back at the Virus Scan Console, Press on the Tools menu and select "Lock User Interface".
- Right mouse click on the My Computer Icon and select "Manage". On the left select Services and search the right pane for McAfee framework and restart the service.
- Browse to the target program and observe the break-neck speed of program's start.
BAT files to stop/start McAfee Services
Posted: 8 Mar 06
For applications or system changes that would be slowed by McAfee AV software you can use two simple batch files.
Simply copy the green text and save as stop/start_avservices.bat files where they can be accessed easily.
The batch files will alternately stop and then start the McAfee AV services in W2K or XP.
While the actual stop/start service takes the same ammount of time, several steps are saved by running the bat file over the same task via the "Manage" utility.
To Stop the services run the "stopAVservices.bat"
net stop "McAfee Framework Service"
net stop "Network Associates McShield"
net stop "Network Associates Task Manager"
To Stop the services run the "startAVservices.bat"
net start "McAfee Framework Service"
net start "Network Associates McShield"
net start "Network Associates Task Manager"