XCOM distributes a private copy of the Java JRE with the installation and it uses the same JRE to launch the XCOM GUI, to access the Gateway Web Services and to process Email Notifications.
- JRE version 1.6.0_16_ALL was distributed with the r11.6 SP00 release
- JRE version 1.8.0_65 was distributed with the SP01 release
- JRE version 1.8.0_144 with SP02 release.
We have certified XCOM only with the versions it redistributes.
The XCOM_JVM parameter is used only for Gateway webservices and processing EMAIL notifications. So you only need to set this parameter after upgrading JAVA if you are using either Gateway webservices and processing EMAIL notifications.
The XCOM GUI uses the XCOM_JAVA_HOME environment variable. If this variable is not set then it uses the JRE that is redistributed with the product. This variable is set StandaloneUI.bat file.
In summary, if you update JAVA:
1) Update XCOM_JAVA_HOME in StandaloneUI.bat if you are going to use the GUI. (You may need to update multiple lines.)
For example change this variable in StandaloneUI.bat:
2) If you are using either Gateway webservices and/or processing EMAIL notifications, update XCOM_JVM in the xcom.glb and restart xcomd.
For example set %XCOM_HOME%\JRE\1.8.0_144\bin\server\jvm.dll in xcom.glb