Users are getting confused between a Resource OBS and Staff OBS function.
Please explain the differences, as filtering by them produces different results.
- What is the difference between Resource OBS and Staff OBS field?
The Staff OBS field is part of the Staff Member's properties. ( Project > Team > Select Properties Icon for a Team Member)
The Staff OBS can be different for one resource for one project to the next.
There is also a setting (usually found on the Schedule subpage) called 'Default Staff OBS Unit'. Selecting a value here will set a default value
for any new resources that are added to the team after there is a default selected here.
The Resource OBS field is set at the Resource level opposed to being on the Project level.
The options on the browse for either of these two fields comes from associating an OBS to the Resource object.
- Will they provide same results set while using them one by one using the same search filter criteria? What is the expected results if the Staff OBS is left blank?
If the Staff OBS is left blank, the results will include resources from all Staff OBS's.
If a value is selected for the Staff OBS on the filter, the results will include all resources that meet the rest of the filter Criteria. However, only resources that are in the selected Staff OBS will display any values for ETC, Actuals, Allocation and Total Usage. These values will be adjusted to meet the Staff OBS criteria.
Here's an example regarding how the Staff OBS filter parameter works:
Res1 and Res2 are Added to Resource OBS:OBS1Res3 is added to Resource OBS:OBS2 Res1 is added to two projects, Proj1 and Proj2 On Proj1, Res1 is added to Staff OBS: Staff1For the month of January, Res1 has Alloc=ETC=60 hours on Proj1 On Proj2, Res1 is added to Staff OBS: Staff2For the month of January, Res1 has Alloc=ETC=80 hours on Proj2 Res2 has Alloc=ETC=20 hours on other Projects for the month of JanuaryRes3 has Alloc=ETC=10 hours on other projects for the month of January In the Resource Workloads Portlet, No Filter parameters set.Total Results is 3 Resources.Allocation, ETC, Total Usage displays for all resources Res1: Alloc=ETC=80+60=140Res2: Alloc=ETC=20Res3: Alloc=ETC=10 ***Filter only by Staff OBS: Staff1Total Results is 3 resources. Res1: Alloc=ETC=60 (only shows values meeting the Staff OBS: Staff1requirement)Res2: Alloc=ETC=blankRes3: Alloc=ETC=blank***Filter only by Staff OBS: Staff2Total Results is 3 resources. Res1: Alloc=ETC=80 (only shows values meeting the Staff OBS: Staff2requirement)Res2: Alloc=ETC=blankRes3: Alloc=ETC=blank ***Filter only by Resource OBS: OBS1Total Results is 2 resources. Res1: Alloc=ETC=80+60=140Res2: Alloc=ETC=20 ***Filter only by Resource OBS: OBS2Total Results is 1 resource. Res2: Alloc=ETC=10 ***Filter by:- Resource OBS: OBS1 AND- Staff OBS: Staff1 Total Results is 2 resources. Res1: Alloc=ETC=60 (only shows values meeting the Staff OBS: Staff1requirement)Res2: Alloc=ETC=blank
- If the list is only filtered by the Resource OBS, this changes the number of Resources listed.
- If the list is filtered by the Staff OBS, the number of Resources remains the same, just the values on the TSV fields change.
- If the list is filtered by the Resource OBS AND Staff OBS, the number of resources on the list will be determined by the value on the Resource OBS parameter, the values on the TSV will be determined by the Staff OBS selected. (Similarly, if the filter parameters are any other parameter and the Staff OBS, the number of resources on the list will be determined by the other parameter, and the Staff OBS parameter will only dictate the values on the TSV for those resources.)