1. What does CA Vantage GMI do?
CA Vantage GMIallows the user to easily manage all of their interfacing CA mainframe products with a common Windows Client graphical interface. Several CA Vantage SRM object displays are also provided that assist the users to better manage their storage environment.
2. Which CA products does CA Vantage SRM and GMI interface with?
The CA mainframe products that interface with CA Vantage SRM and GMI are:
CA 1 - Tape Management
CA ASTEX – Performance Reporting
CA CREWS - Catalog Recovery
CA Datacom/DB – Data Base Management
CA Disk - Data Management
CA IDMS/DB - Data Base Management
CA MasterCat - Catalog Management
CA PDSMAN – PDS Management
CA SYSVIEW – Systems Management
CA Tape Encryption
CA Encryption Key Manager
CA TLMS - Tape Management
CA Vtape VTS - Virtual Tape System
Other products are being considered for inclusion in the CA Vantage GMI program.
3. Is there a charge for CA Vantage GMI?
CA Vantage GMI is provided for no charge, as an additional benefit to customers who have a license for any of the interfacing CA mainframe products.
4. If I have CA Vantage SRM, do I need CA Vantage GMI?
Customers with a license for CA Vantage SRM have access to the interfacing products they are licensed for, so they do not need CA Vantage GMI.
5. How does CA Vantage GMI work?
CA Vantage GMI consists of two components: A started task that runs on the mainframe, and a Windows Client that is installed on a workstation or server.
6. What else is included with CA Vantage GMI?
CA Vantage GMI provides the following Storage Resource Management views and functions from CA Vantage SRM:
- Storage Groups
- Monitor usage of the SMS Storage Groups and user defined pools
- Volumes (DASD)
- Monitor usage and status of all online and offline DASD volumes
- z/OS System Resources
- Monitor status and discrepancies in APF and Link list data sets, and more.
- Current enqueues
- z/OS System Parameters
- Operator Console Log, and more
- Catalog Management
- List all catalogs, alias and alias cross-reference
- Locate catalog entries and be able to delete or uncatalog entries
- DFSMS Constructs
- List the details of all the SMS constructs – DC, SC, MC and SG
- Output object data to files, Web locations, Email, mainframe, or print
- Customize object views and report layouts to any specification
- Generalized Summaries
- Specialized reporting to group and summarize data based on any attributes or values
7. How does the installation of CA Vantage GMI compare with the installation of CA Vantage SRM?
- CA Vantage GMI is installed using an identical file as CA Vantage SRM.
- The release numbers for CA Vantage GMI and CA Vantage SRM are the same.
- The same CD is used to install the Windows Client for both CA Vantage GMI and
CA Vantage SRM.
- After the installation of CA Vantage SRM, if the license key for SRM is not found
(LMP key 0C), then SRM reverts to GMI functionality.
8. Can CA Vantage GMI be upgraded to CA Vantage SRM?
- CA Vantage GMI can be easily upgraded to CA Vantage SRM Base along with any optional features.
- Re-installation is not needed because the install libraries are identical.
- The upgrade is activated with LMP keys so a trial or purchase can be setup quickly.
- CA Vantage SRM optional features can not be added to CA Vantage GMI.
- The LMP key for the CA Vantage SRM Base product is required before optional features can be added, such as Automation or the DFSMShsm Interface.
9. What product interfaces does CA Vantage SRM have?
CA Vantage SRM is a comprehensive product that provides access to key management information from storage devices and software products from many vendors. CA Vantage SRM allows the user to monitor, manage and report on all of the following software and devices:
- Backup and Archive Management CA Disk
- Catalog Recovery and Management CA CREWS
- Data Base Management CA Datacom/DB
- Performance Management CA Astex
- RAID Systems IBM, Sun StorageTek, EMC, Hitachi
- Robotic Tape Systems IBM, Sun StorageTek, ADIC/Grau
- Tape Encryption System CA Tape Encryption / CA Encryption Key Manager
- Tape Management Systems CA 1
- Mounted zSeries File Systems IBM UNIX System Services
- Virtual Tape Systems CA Vtape (software solution)
10. What other features does CA Vantage SRM have?
Following are some of the features and capabilities of CA Vantage SRM:
- Data Set Objects
- View all data sets in your system to locate problems like excessive size, poor blocksize, over allocated, excessive extents, multi-volume, etc.
- Take direct action on problem data sets through the Client
- View VSAM detail data from the VVDS
- Locate Uncataloged Data Sets
- Locate Catalog entries where no data set exists
- Data Set Groups – Monitor application space usage by tracking:
- Data sets on Primary storage.
- Data sets on Secondary storage (backed up and/or migrated)
- Tapes usage by application
- RAID Devices – Specialized RAID views for all vendors
- Object Logging
- Store object data for historical reporting
- Trend Reporting
- Forecast resource usage to a future date
- Tape Resource Reporting, optional feature
- Monitor, Manage and Report on:
- Tape Mgmt. Systems
- Tape Robotics
- Virtual Tape
- Detail reports by device and by media
- Perform audits between Tape Mgmt. systems, catalogs, OCDS, Silos
- Automation, optional feature
- Respond to threshold violations of any field in any object
- Respond to Messages from the Console, or DFSMShsm or CA Disk
- Submit a job to take corrective action
- Issue commands
- Issue messages to operator
- CA Disk Interface, optional feature
- Actions can be performed with more flexible options via CA Disk
- Restore and Auto Restore activity can be logged
- Audit the Archvols against the catalog, tape mgmt. system, or robotic system
- DFSMShsm Reporting, optional feature
- Significant number of reports to help you manage what HSM is (and is not) doing
- Database Reporting, optional feature
- Detail reports of DB2 and Adabas
So, that is a brief overview of the features in CA Vantage GMI and CA Vantage SRM.
Please contact your CA Sales person to get more detailed information and to arrange a trial.
To see a demonstration of the Windows Client, visit the Training Video Library using the links on the CA Vantage GMI or the CA Vantage SRM product home page at: Support.CA.com
For any questions about the setup and use of CA Vantage GMI and CA Vantage SRM, please contact CA Technical Support.
The following table summarizes what is included with
CA Vantage GMI and with CA Vantage SRM.
Objects & Features
CA Vantage SRM
with interfacing CA product
CA Vantage GMI
with interfacing CA product
CA Disk – FILES Reporting,
Auto Restore Manager
CA Tape Encryption
z/OS System Resources
Datasets (All Online)
Dataset (Application) Groups
RAID Objects – All Vendors
Object Logging for Historical Reporting
CA Disk Interface –
Actions, Restore Logging, Audits
Tape Resource Option –
Tape Mgmt, Robotic and Virtual
IBM UNIX System Services