When using CA Datacom Presspack, here are a some pros and cons for using Strong Compression versus Custom Compression.
Strong Compression versus Custom Compression:
- Strong compression is simple to use and does not require keeping the custom compression modules
- Pro: Easier to manage, easier to recover.
- Con: Someone else with the CXX definition and Presspack could decompress the data (if they had a mainframe with CA Datacom Presspack - not your typical hacker).
- Custom compression requires extra steps to create custom modules but provides better compression value.
- Pro: Better value is achieved, better protection because only a person with the Custom DCT (module) and CXX etc. would be able to decompress.
- Con: If you lose the DCT you cannot recover the data from the compressed file.