Customers will run TPX continuously for months without shutdown. This document outlines CA's recommendations when planning for this.
- Are you on a current release of TPX? If not, be aware of End of Support dates which are available via the TPX product page on support.ca.com.
- Be current on all maintenance.
- Use REGION=0M.
- Set up TPX as a generic resource with multiple TPX started tasks. This will provide failover coverage. Here are a few of the published Knowledge Documents (KDs) on TPX as a generic resource:
TEC488537: Setting up TPX in a SYSPLEX as a Generic Resource
TEC487456: What does one have to be aware of when implementing Coupling Facility while setting up TPX as a Generic Resource?
TEC487521: With TPX defined as a generic resource, what will a failure (or shutdown) of one TPX look like to the user?
- Will you be adding any new users, applications, etc. during this time period? Ensure VSAM files and storage allocations are sufficiently large to handle any potential changes.
- Verify that slot pool sizes match TPX default values. You can see the default values by creating a new SMRT and use that for comparison with the active SMRT.
- Slot pool size must match default for the most efficient use of storage.
- Slot percentages can vary depending upon site requirements.
- Analyze current storage usage (D STOR & D STORXA). Do any of the slots have high use or max use? Adjust to allow sufficient storage without overflows.
NOTE: Changes to slot pool % requires that you cycle TPX in order for the changes to take effect.
- If the TPX LOG is becoming too large, you can use the TPXOPER SPIN Command:
The SPIN command accesses the message log without stopping or restarting CA TPX. The SPIN command releases the current message log data set for printing and allocates a new message log data set in its place.
- When you have an opportunity to stop TPX, do regular VSAM maintenance on the TPX VSAM files (reorg) and run RESET INTEGRITY. You may want to consider adding RESET INTEGRITY as the first step in TPX PROC. See KD TEC448130.