The main advantages of XCOM over FTP are:
1. Transfers can be retried in case an error appears.
2. You have a log where the result of a transfer is documented.
3. You can trace transfers.
4. You can use trusted transfers where you do not need to specify Userid and Password with the transfer.
5. You can use INQUIRE on the mainframe to get information on the success of the transfer.
6. You can either use the command line (by using command xcomtcp) or using the Graphical user interface to invoke a transfer on Windows or Unix. The same is valid for the Mainframe side: You can use a Job and specify the required options in the SYSIN or you use the ISPF Panels. FTP has no GUI.
7. You can use Checkpoints which avoid retransferring the complete file in case of a problem.
8. You can use Pre-Processing before a transfer is started and Post-Processing after a transfer has ended.