Enterprises that value the power of CA SYSVIEW Performance Management will benefit from CA SymDump System. CA SymDump System, which utilizes CA SYSVIEW technology, provides the following features for enhanced system dump viewing and dump management:
- Augmented dump diagnostic information for CICS system dumps.
- Central dump repository and index for easy dump selection and management.
- Interactive dump viewer for ISPF.
- Automatic control block mapping for z/OS and CICS control blocks.
- Electronic Notepad.
- Keep Window.
- Point-and-Shoot storage access.
- View profiles that are easily customized.
With CA SymDump System's context sensitive help for every screen, every command and message, these features are easily mastered by new and intermittent users.
CA SYSVIEW Performance Management is a system performance monitoring tool for z/OS and USS as well as JES2, CICS, IMS, Datacom, Websphere, MQ and CA Datacom DB. It provides system information for all of the critical systems, subsystems and address spaces allowing systems programmers to manage system resources for optimal availability. Performance data for z/OS, JES2, USS, CICS, IMS, WebSphere, MQ, and CA Datacom DB is readily available.
When systems or subsystems fail, CA SymDump System automatically captures important information, reducing diagnostic time and effort for system programmers. CA SymDump System enhances your dumps by taking a snapshot of your performance and diagnostic data, including all output from your job, along with a snapshot of your dump storage at the time the failure occurs. The data is presented in the same familiar format delivered by CA SYSVIEW Performance Management.
Enhanced dumps are accessed and managed via a central dump index that lets you quickly locate and select dumps for viewing or maintenance. Each index entry identifies the system on which the dump was produced, the names of the job, step, and abending program, the completion code, date, time and more. The index can be sorted easily on any of these columns, making it even faster to locate your dump.
The CA SymDump System Dump Index
Using simple line commands, the following actions are available for any dump in the index:
S - Select a dump for viewing.
D - Delete a dump and remove it from the index.
X - Remove an index entry without deleting the dump.
N - Launch the Electronic Notepad.
L - Lock a dump to prevent accidental deletion.
U - Unlock a locked dump.
Once a dump has been selected for viewing, the performance and diagnostic data is presented in a tree view that segments the data into key folders such as Formatted Reports, Loaded Programs, and z/OS or CICS Control Blocks. Using the interactive viewer, just expand or collapse any folder to locate information you need to diagnose the problem. Links to the most useful data, as defined upon installation, are grouped in the Favorites folder for quick access.
The CA SymDump System Dump Tree
The dump viewer also provides convenient dump viewing and management tools.
- Keep Window - provides a convenient way to retain important information on-screen while you navigate through long or complex dumps.
- Electronic Notepad - provides a personal storage area for saving user notes or data that can be references by one or multiple users across viewing sessions.
- Auto Mapping - formats z/OS and CICS control blocks automatically using the appropriate mapping macro.
- Multiple Data Views - provides a standard storage view, a mapped view for control blocks or a disassembled view for program storage.
- Customizable PF Keys - allows you to control the point-and-shoot features.
Other functionality includes:
- Definable User Exits - allow you to control complex dump selection and security.
- Optional Web Viewer - a browser-based viewer for remote access to system dumps.
- Supplementary Reports for CICS:
- CICS Summary Report
- Auxiliary Storage Report
- Kernel Error Summary Report
- Message Help
- Interactive Trace
- Automatic Maintenance - deletes expired dumps and index entries automatically.
- Duplicate Dump Suppression - prevents excessive dumps for the same problem.
- Index Utility - produces batch reports and facilitates maintenance.
The CA SymDump System Web Viewer