The user account in the CA API Developer Portal 4.x ("Portal") is locked and cannot login through SSH into the Portal server.
CA API Developer Portal 4.x and newer.
The user account is locked because of multiple password attempt failures.
Unlocking the account
If the portal password is unknown and the account is locked due to too many failed authentication attempts then the following error message may appear: Account locked due to 5 failed logins. If this error occurs then the portal account will need to be unlocked.
1. Connect to the CA API Portal via a serial cable or direct console access.
2. Restart the CA API Portal appliance.
3. Next, select your Kernel version from the grub menu item and press e key to edit the first boot option. Now use the Down arrow key to find the kernel line (starts with “linux16“), then change the argument ro to rw init=/sysroot/bin/sh as shown in the screen shot below.
4. Once you have finished the task in the previous step, press Ctrl-X or F10 to boot into single user mode (access an emergency shell).
5. Now mount root (/) filesystem using the following command.
# faillock --user portal --reset
6. Once you are done, reboot the system using this command.
# reboot -f