This documents provides a step-by-step description how to perform an update of the primary CA ControlMinder Enterprise Management Server from version 12.7 to 12.8.
To perform the update first logon locally to the local console of the ENTM machine with the very same OS user account which was used to initially perform the setup of the installed version of the product.
Perform these steps to do the update:
- stop the JBoss service but leave all other ControlMinder services running
- backup or rename the folder of the file system where JBoss is installed to
- from Control Panel / Programs and Features uninstall any JDK and JRE
- mount the CA ControlMinder 12.8 Third Party Components DVD (DVD11133442E.iso)
- run the PrereqInstaller (install_PRK.exe) and reinstall the newer version of the JDK and JBoss with default settings
(previously defined custom port settings will be restored in a later step)
- once the PrereqInstaller has finished copy from the previously backed up JBoss ..\server\default\conf, deploy and lib folders to the newly installed JBoss (overwriting the existing folders)
- mount the CA ControlMinder Premium Edition 12.8 Server Components DVD (DVD11133325E.iso)
- run the CA ControlMinder Enterprise Management installer (..\EnterpriseMgmt\Disk1\InstData\NoVM\install_EntM.exe)
- positively confirm the upgrade notice
- enter the same settings for the communication ports, database and passwords as defined in the previous version installed
- complete the wizard accordingly
- after the setup is finished reboot the box
- wait for 15 mins (to allow JBoss service to finish startup)
- open a WebBrowser and see if the CA ControlMinder Enterprise Management console can be logged on to
In case of issues:
- check C:\jboss-4.2.3.GA\server\default\log\server.log and see if any errors are displayed
- if there are any exceptions stop JBoss and troubleshoot the issue.
- one known issue might be:
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
This is because JBoss needs to redeploy the web application and is allocating permanent generation memory.
The defaut PermGen space in Jave is 64MB. To define a larger one edit the file C:\jboss-4.2.3.GA\bin\run.bat and replace
rem JVM memory allocation pool parameters. Modify as appropriate.
rem *** set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms128m -Xmx512m
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled (<- this goes in one line without this comment)
- save the changes and launch run.bat or start the JBoss service
Note that with these memory settings Jboss will allocate up to 500 Mb of total memory.