How can I update a ticket through maileater without specifying the ticket ID in the body of the email?
Using the out of the box mailbox rules, to update a ticket you pass the following in the body of the email:
where the Action Object is an incident, and the incident number in the example is 123.
If you want to update a ticket without having the user pass the ID in the body, you can set up a mailbox rule for this purpose as follows:
- Navigate to the Administration tab>Email>Mailboxes and select the appropriate mailbox.
- Click the Create New button under the Rules tab.
- Fill in the Sequence field (NOTE: Since this rule will not meet the criteria to update a ticket on the out of the box Create/Update rules it is ideal to have this new rule's sequence come first).
- Select 'Subject contains' for the Filter.
- Select 'Update Object' for the Action.
- Select the appropriate Action Object; in this case, select 'Incident'.
- For the Filter String field enter:
- Fill in the rest of the fields as desired.
- Save the rule.
With this rule set up, you can send an email to this maileater mailbox with the subject "Incident 123". The body can be filled in as desired, if keywords are passed those fields will be updated on the ticket, in this case incident 123, otherwise it will be added as a comment to the ticket.
Here is a sample screenshot of the above setup in a CA Service Desk Manager 17.0 environment:
-For SDM 12.9 and prior, more information on this can be found in the Administration Guide under Chapter 14: Using the Text API>Text API>Format an Email Message To Update a Ticket