When installing CA SCM Workbench and/or Administrator on a client machine, sometimes you get an error: ERROR: Unexpected error during InstallCrypt. The client installation will roll back because of this error.
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry.
Before you modify the registry, make sure to create back up of the registry and ensure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem may occur.
For more information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, please review the relevant Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on support.microsoft.com.
Here are the things you can try to avoid this error:
- Check CA SCM Compatibility Matrix to ensure client machine OS is supported. The URL to the Compatibility Matrix is:
- Install Client with an account with local administrator rights. It does not have to be the local administrator account itself.
- Uninstall all CA SCM related programs from Add/Remove Programs.
- If you have previously installed SCM on this client machine, please uninstall it cleanly. If the client did not uninstall cleanly, then open a support case and request for a CA SCM program cleanup tool called HarvestUninstallTools. This tool providesMicrosoft's uninstall utility and Regclean utility. These two utilities have proven successful in cleaning up any product install.
Run the program on the client machine. Reattempt the client installation.
- Or you can uninstall by:
- Manually removing all old CA SCM directories
- Manually deleting the following registry folders and keys:
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Computer Associates International, Inc* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ComputerAssociates\ADvantage* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ComputerAssociates\AllFusion Harvest Change Manager* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ComputerAssociates\PEC Monitor * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ComputerAssociates\Software Change Manager* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ComputerAssociates\Software Change Manager for Distributed* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Computer Associates* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ADvantage* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\AllFusion Harvest CM Client* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\AllFusion Harvest CM Documentation* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\Software Change Manager* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\Software Change Manager for Distributed* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\CAIPTODBC* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\CCC Harvest* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\CCC/Harvest 5.0* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\Cryptography* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\Enterprise Communicator* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\Harweb* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\PEC* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\RTHOME* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceCodeControlProvider
- Then go the menu Edit - Find and enter "harvest". Click Find Next and delete the entry in the Registry. Hit F3 on the keyboard and delete the next entry. Do this until the registry has not found "harvest" anymore. Do the same with "harweb", "enterprise communicator", "caiptodbc" and "cacrypt", until all those have been deleted.
- Delete the following Environment Variables in My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab:
* HARVESTHOME* ODBC_HOME* RTARCH* RTHOME* ETPKIHOME
- Search your entire system for a file called 'ISProbe.tlb" and rename it to "ISProbe.tlbx", then reattempt the install.
Old versions of this InstallShield component have been known to interfere with new installations compiled with InstallShield.
During the install runtime, InstallShield looks for the ISProbe.tlb file and if found, will simply use it. If it is not found, then the install will extract the newer ISProbe.tlb file to the client machine and use that for the install.
- Manual/silent install of the client software as described on page 55 of the Implementation Guide 12.1 SP3.
- Check and kill any duplicated MS installation processes in Task Manager while installing SCM client.