Unable to open projects in the new Microsoft Interface (MSP) Interface Driver for 14.x and higher if you have restricted access to the 'tmp' folder. Symptoms may include error messages including "Microsoft Project stopped working", "SchedLink MFC Application has stopped working", or you may see a blank project with the loading process stuck with a "Writing XML files" message displayed in the bottom right hand corner of MSP.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install the MSP Interface (new driver) using the default directory locations included in the install process.
2. Open a project from PPM to Microsoft Project.
Project opens successfully.
Project does not open, may see several different symptoms including error messages "Microsoft Project stopped working", "SchedLink MFC Application has stopped working", or you will see a blank project with the loading process stuck with a "Writing XML files" message displayed in the bottom right hand corner of MSP.
This is working as designed as The new MSP Interface driver shipped with CA PPM v14 and higher versions is XML based, which means an XML version of each of the downloaded projects will get written to a ‘tmp’ folder under \CA\Clarity\CA Clarity PPM MSPInterface\bin. The ‘tmp’ folder gets created automatically under the Program Files directory the first time a project is opened in MSP. If the ‘tmp’ folder cannot be created due to user’s insufficient permission, the projects cannot be opened in MSP.
Here are a few ways to work around this:
Option 1: Depending on the user access on the workstation, manually creating a new ‘tmp’ folder under the bin folder works and XML files will get written here.
Option 2: If the access restriction cannot be worked around, the next option would be to choose a different directory that the user has full access to during the MSP Interface installation.
Here is an example of the steps to change the install directory to the C: drive:
- When downloading the mspsetup.exe, change the download folder from ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\CA Clarity PPM Setups’ to ‘C:\CA Clarity PPM Setups’ on the first set of window prompts.
- During the installation of ‘CA Clarity PPM Microsoft Project Interface’, change the “Install to” directory from ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Clarity\CA Clarity PPM MSPInterface\’ to ‘C:\CA\Clarity\CA Clarity PPM MSPInterface\’
- Similarly, during the installation of ‘CA Clarity PPM Schedule Connect’, change the “Install to” directory from ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Clarity\CA Clarity PPM Schedule Connect\’ to ‘C:\CA\Clarity\CA Clarity PPM Schedule Connect\’
Our teams are collecting feedbacks and use cases through this enhancement idea of adopting a different architecture that will avoid the situation described above. Here is a link to an idea for this issue: New MSP interface should not use Program Files folder to save xmls
We encourage you to review and vote up!