Case Request Summary
What steps are required to put UMP behind an F5 load balancer?
CA cannot advise on how to configure a particular load balancer. We have useful articles covering tips and other issues that some customers have had, mainly with the differences between systems when UMP has SSL enabled. If you are not using HTTPS, for instance, for internal users then the setup may be less complicated inside the load balancer.?
1) Usually a load balancer can terminate the SSL at its location. When this is done then it is forwarding?
only HTTP requests to the web servers and the UMP(s) do not need to be configured with SSL.?
This is by far the easiest solution as there is really nothing to do on the UMP side .?
Some generic information?
2) Wildcard certs - These are special SSL certs that allow them to come from multiple machines. You will need to check with the Certificate provider on this. UMP does not care if the SSL cert is a wild card one or not.?
I have attached and article to the case about using wild card SSL certs .?
The process would be the same on both UMP servers if needed.?
This would be your second option which would be more costly and complicated to setup.?
3) For General recommendations, everything you should be aware is in the Multiple UMP Server Configuration Guide.?
See the "Configuring a Load Balancer" section for details on the recommended load balancer configuration:?
4) Part of the load balancer configuration requires sticky sessions to be enabled.?This section tells you the high-level steps to configure your load balancer to run with UMP.?
(Load balancers vary. Refer to your load balancer documentation for configuration details. )
a. Configure the load balancer with virtual IP addresses for the two UMP servers.?
b. Configure the load balancer to use sticky sessions?
Sticky sessions is a feature of many commercial load balancing solutions that allows web?
farms to route requests for a particular session to the same machine that serviced the first?
request for that session. This ensures that a session is not disrupted as a result of requests?
related to that session being routed to different servers.?
c. Configure your load balancer to use a load balancing algorithm?
A load balancing algorithm tells the load balancer how to distribute incoming requests.?
The most common load balancing algorithm is the round robin, where one connection is sent?
to each server on the list in turn.
- Unified Monitoring Portal (UMP) and loadbalancing
- UMP Performance Reports fail to export .pdf or .xml files when routed through a F5 load balancer
- UMP - Message Board Portlet Getting Error, "The requested resource was not found."
- Redirect UMP HTTP Traffic to HTTPS
- Making UMP SSL-only
- Is Multi server UR possible similar to Multi server UMP
- How to enable a wildcard certificate in UMP
- How to configure wasp to default to https
- Configuring UMP to use SSL (Using Authority Signed Certificates)
keywords: load balancer, load balance, load balancing, F5, big, NLB, ump, wasp, keystore, ssl, certificate, portal, session