When installing UIM 8.x or higher against an Oracle backend database, the installation fails at 37% during the "configuring data_engine" phase.
The installer log (as viewed from the installer itself) will show:
2019-01-14 14:43:30,696 ERROR impl.UIMServerConfigureController:run:492 [Thread-38] - NimException caught
(6) permission denied, Failed to communicate with probe 'data_engine' in the allotted time of 300 secs.
the data_engine.log will show:
Jan 16 12:29:38:272  de: CDLLLoader::LoadDLLbyName - Failed to load: OCI.DLL. NULL
The installation will not proceed past this point.
Windows 2012 or earlier
UIM 8.x or 9.x
Oracle 12c backend
The Oracle Instant Client 12.2 is required by the data_engine; but the installer uses a JDBC connection so the installer succeeds up until the point where data_engine tries to connect to the database.
The cause for this is that Oracle Instant Client 12.2 requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributables, which are not installed by default on Windows 2012 or earlier.
Prior to installation, obtain and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributables on the primary hub server.
If installation has already failed, take the following steps:
1. Open Windows Services and stop the Nimsoft Robot Watcher Service.
2. Delete the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Nimsoft\ entirely.
3. Delete the hidden folder C:\Program Files\Zero G Registry\ (you will need to enable "view hidden files and folders" in Windows.)
4. Install the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributables if you have not already
5. Re-run the UIM installer.