After what seems to be a successful implementation of Mainframe Software Manager the task output from the actions 'Update Catalog Tree' or 'Update Keys' from the LMP Keys Browser may show a 'java.lang.NullPointerException'. The text of the task dialog will also show the value of 'null' for the user's Site Id.
Example of the task output:
Acquire Product Knowledge Started
Obtaining product list from Support Online
information requested by : MSMUSER
Date : Aug 11, 2009 7:29:16 PM
for Site ID : null
PAS Exception thrown within BaseProdListCMD null
This error is due to the CA Mainframe Software Manager Server not being able to access the CA Support portal 'https://support.ca.com'.
There may be many different reasons for the root cause of the problem. The purpose of this document is to suggest a few of the common causes.
Note: While these settings may have been previously verified, it is possible that they may have changed since CA Mainframe Software Manager has been installed.
- The site's TCP/IP environment is not fully functional with a DNS Server or there are incorrect values in the TCPIP profile.
- While the MSMInstaller & the CA Mainframe Software Manager Server STC check (via JCL Interpreter ) for the presence of the dataset used by the //SYSTCPD DD statement they do not validate their contents. Please check for changes and accuracy thereof.
- The PORT #443 for 'https' by the support portal 'https://support.ca.com' may be in use or otherwise has had its status change.
- A proxy server may have been introduced, or mis-configured.
- A mis-match of IP address and local hostname. This is possible if the CA Mainframe Software Manager Server install was moved from one z/OS image to another.
In all cases the OMVS commands oping , onetstat, traceroute, and nslookup may be used to diagnose the root cause.