When a project is opened in Microsoft Project (MSP), using the XML format, the task progress (%complete) is set to zero (0) on assignments where there is no work completed. This problem affects sub tasks, including tasks that show underneath the project level summary task.
The problem is caused by an MSP issue when using XML format, and the MSP drivers for CA PPM v14.1+ use XML format, therefore once the issue is fixed by Microsoft, Clarity users will no longer experience this problem.
Steps to Reproduce:
- Launch MSP, create a simple 5 day task and assign to a resource
- Be sure the option "update task status updates resource status" is UNCHECKED
- Be sure the option "calculation project after each edit" is Off
- Be sure the option "Show project summary task" is CHECKED so that the task created above shows as a sub task
- Set 50% in the %Complete field on the task, leave the project summary task as 0% complete
- Save As a XML file and close the project
- Open the XML as a "new project"
Expected Result: Hit F9 button and Task %Complete is 50%
Actual Result: Hit F9 button and Task %Complete is 0%
The resolution is to enable automatic calculation by default (and in step 3) as showed below, furthermore there will be no need to press on F9 anymore:
"update task status updates resource status" is an option that must be unchecked, especially for projects that are tracking time through Clarity timesheets. If this setting is turned on, then the actual work will be generated in MSP based upon the percent complete
Clarity users could find that option automatically checked every time a project is exported from Clarity to MSP, and this an open issue on the 14.1 Driver that has been already fixed in the 14.2 Driver