A change in the registry on Windows 2008 is required to enable crash dumps (mdmp/dmp files) when an application crashes.
1. Open the Windows registry editor: Hit Win-R and type in regedit
2. Navigate to following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting
3. If it does not exist, create the following key: LocalDumps
4. In this key, add the following values:
a. Create STRING value DumpFolder with the following content: C:\test; (choose your location here)
(!) It is recommended, not to use the root folder.
b. Create DWORD32 value DumpCount – assign 10 (decimal) to it;
c. Create DWORD32 value DumpType – assign 2 (decimal) to it;
d. Create DWORD32 CustomDumpFlags with 0 (decimal) in it.
5. You can then check the results in Windows registry editor:
6. Restart the machine to apply the changes.