With TPX defined as a generic resource, each TPX will:
- Access the same VSAM Databases (ADMIN1, ADMIN2, MAIL, NOTES, VIEW)
- Use the same executable load library (LOADLIB) so by default all TPX started tasks will be at the same release and maintenance level
- Use separate TPX VTAM nodes (DO NOT specify ACBNAME in the VTAM major node APPL definition.)
- Have individual VTAM APPL and an exclusive set of VTs (virtual terminals)
- Specify the same Generic Resource parameters
NOTE: If you currently have multiple standalone TPX tasks, each with their own set of VSAM files, you must determine the best way to merge the files using VSAM utilities outside of TPX.
Define VTAM APPLs
- Each TPX must have an exclusive VTAM APPL and exclusive virtual terminals (ACBs not defined to any other TPX).
- Specify YES on the SRBEXIT parameter of each APPL statement in your major node.
- Vary the major node inactive, and then vary it active.
Using the Authorized Path Facility
The APF facility is required for VTAM generic resource support.
- Specify Y in the VTAM Authorized Path Facility field of the SMRT Performance Parameters panel. For information about changing the performance parameters, see the TPX 5.4 Administrating Guide - Modify Parameters on the System Options Table.
Defining the Coupling Facility Structure
When using CA-TPX to operate as a VTAM generic resource, you need to define the Coupling Facility structure.
Note: To use this feature, CA-TPX must run from an APF-authorized library, as mentioned above.
To define the Coupling Facility structure:
- Open member CFSTRUCT in the INSTALL data set.
- Define the name of your structure and its size. Note the structure name consists of two parts:
- An eight-byte prefix, which cannot contain blanks.
- The generic resource name used for all instances of the product. You may need more than one generic resource name.
- Each generic resource name requires its own structure.
- The generic name must be different than the application network name (VTAM applid of TPX).
- For details on determining the structure storage requirements, see the TPX Systems Programming Guide.
- Update the Coupling Facility policy data set to reflect the definition of the structure.
- Update the SMRT Generic Resource Parameters.
- prefix (as in step 2)
- resource name (as in step 2)
- member count - This is the maximum number of TPX started tasks (applids) that will connect to this generic resource at one time.
Coupling facility structure name: STRUCTURE NAME(TPXGR001TPXINT)
Generic Resource Parameters
Coupling structure name prefix: TPXGR001
VTAM Generic Resource name: TPXINT
Generic Resource member count: 04