When wanting to use a regular expression in a component identification, you must use ".*" as a wildcard.
However if you enter "*" instead and save the changes, then you will no longer be able to synchronize the monitors.
It happens with any expression with an asterisk at the beginning (e.g. "*", *TEST, etc)
Steps to replicate:
- Edit any component identification:
Business Services -> Business Transactions -> Transactions -> Components -> Identification
- Change Action to "Matches regular expression"
- Change Pattern to "*"
- Click Update
- You will see the message:
"Confirmation: Parameter changes were saved successfully."
and "Monitors are not synchronized" appears.
But, when you try to synchronize the changes, you will get an error:
- Go to Setup -> Monitors
- Click on "Synchronize all monitors"
- the following message appears:
"Error: One or more monitors could not be synchronized. Please verify that all enabled monitors are running and accessible."
- "Domain Configuration Status" now shows
"Communication Error 500"
500 Error Data error: error in regular expression "*" at position 0: nothing to repeat
- Try to revert back the change in "Business Services -> Business Transactions -> Transactions -> Components -> Identification" and you will always get :
Error: Regular expression "*" is not valid. Error Message : ?+* follows nothing in expression.
And in the TIM logs you get:
**ERROR: hub: ConfigFile: data error in /opt/CA/APM/tim/config/domainconfig.xml: error in regular expression "*" at position 0: nothing to repeat
**ERROR: hub: ConfigFile: Data error: error in regular expression "*" at position 0: nothing to repeat