Free Scratch Chains After a Set Number of Days
You can use a SYSIN control statement to use TRS to free unneeded records from the VMF.
To free records used for unneeded information on scratch tapes, specify the following control card:
Specifies the number of days after a volume is scratched.
Before the scratch chains are freed all of the following conditions must be met:
- The volume must have been scratched for more than nnnn days.
- TRS must have processed the volume and moved it to the Data Center.
- The volume must have a multi-volume or multi-data set chain in the VMF.
- The DSN must be non-blank.
- To prevent excessive overhead, this feature only frees 200 chains per TRS run.
- This feature does not affect scratch tapes which do not have multi-volume or multi-file chains because no records can be freed.