When I start the BrightStor Storage Resource Manager r11.5 application server on Windows 2003 SP1 or Windows XP SP2, I receive the message: "a non-continuable protection violation has occurred. Check ERROR.LOG file."
This error is generated by the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 which automatically sets protection against unwanted services.
To address this error message
- Right click My Computer and select Properties from the pop-up menu.
The System Properties dialog appears.
- Select the Advanced tab and, in the Performance group box, click Settings.
The Performance Options dialog appears.
- On the Data Execution Prevention tab, select one of the following two options for running services:
- Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only. (This settings allows all services to run)
- Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select. When you select this option, you must add the BSRM Application program (NSMS.EXE) in the list. Otherwise application server will failed to load.
Note : For more information about Data Execution Prevention (DEP), see Microsoft article 875352.