Users experiencing slow page load times, slow page updates, or general latency in their SaaS (web-based) subscription:
Please see the Instructions section for tips and tricks to improve performance.
Please see the Additional Information section on Troubleshooting tips as well as what information to gather when working with support to investigate performance issues.
Performance issues can be caused by certain configurations in an Agile Central subscription, or even the size of a subscription. For example, if you have an extremely large data set with thousands of projects, it will inherently load a little slower than a smaller subscription.
Here are some best practices / suggestions to make your subscription more performant:
Dashboards and Custom Pages are immensely useful in Agile Central. By adding apps to custom pages, the user is able to see exactly the data they want to see, how they want to see it. Similar to other pages, the more data is being loaded at once, the longer it will take for the page to load.
- Have 5 or fewer applications (Apps) on any custom page or your dashboard. If you need more then 5, we recommend creating them on separate custom pages.
- "Visually exciting" items can slow loading down - graphs, charts, progress bars, tags, etc; showing multiples of these apps on one page will most likely impact a page’s performance
Relevant Help Articles:
Project Picker Hierarchy
While displaying the roll-up (or down) of data across projects in a hierarchy can be helpful, there is also an impact on page load time that should be considered. If a user is looking to load all data across the hierarchy at once, it should be noted that the page will load more slowly. Scoping down to a specific project while show less data, but the page will load more quickly.
- Projects should be created based on teams.
- Scope directly to the project in question by unchecking Show Items from Child/Parent Projects in your Project Picker. If you are scoped all the way up the hierarchy, at the highest Parent level, you will likely encounter performance issues because the application loads all the data from all projects in the workspace.
- If you ‘Expand All’ on older pages, such as User Stories, it has to pull all scoped fields from other projects and this will increase the time it takes the page to load.
- Use the Work Views page should solve this issue. Users can see what they want to see without having to traverse through the whole project hierarchy on page loads.
Relevant Help Articles:
Loading Work Items
Many pages in Agile Central are meant to display work items to the end user, in a number of highly-customizable ways. Some pages are more data-intensive than others, which may load more slowly than others that load less data. If a user would like to see more data on a page such as Portfolio Items, it should be noted that there is a large amount of data to be retrieved that may be associated to a portfolio item. On the other hand, a page such as Work Views which is designed to show less data in a more controlled manner will load more quickly.
- Use Quick Detail Pages (QDP) when viewing details of a work item – this page/side panel loads quicker than the full-page Editable Detail Page (EDP) .
- Use the Work Views page instead of older pages like User Stories, or more data-intensive pages like Portfolio Items, when you want to view/manage your work items. See the How-to video here!
- If you are viewing a long list of work items, remove any columns that have to load a lot of data or information
- Tags, milestones, and anything with multiple values in a field can really slow things down, even custom fields
- Filtering on a field, such as Tags, is fine, but showing them in a column will slow things down
Relevant Help Articles:
Here are tips and tricks to check when investigating performance issues in your CA Agile Central subscription.
Performance issues can be related to an outdated browser, add-ons/extensions, or specific configurations in browsers.
- Please see our Browser Support page to find out if your browser and version are supported
- Is Internet Explorer slow?
- Use Google Chrome, it tends to have better performance than Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.
Anything from your personal networking equipment to your local service provider can result in high latency and slow load times. This is most likely a factor if you experience load-time issues at one location or machine but not another (i.e. it's fine at work, but slow from home).
Things to check:
- Is your computer hard wired or using wireless to access the internet? Wireless is typically less performant.
- Are you experiencing slow load times on websites other than Agile Central?
- Test your connection speed at http://www.bandwidthplace.com/
- Is there an unusually large amount of network activity happening when trying to access your subscription (streaming, downloading, etc.) that is concurrent with your slow load times?
- Has your ISP (Internet Service Provider) reported any issues/outages in the area?
- Does your connection to your modem/router drop frequently?
- Flush your DNS and release/renew your IP address if you are having overall latency issues (not just with your subscription).
Working with Support
If you are opening a case with CA Support regarding performance issues with CA Agile Central, please provide the following information. We do understand this is long list; the more details we receive from you, the more thorough we can be in our investigation, as there are many potential causes that contribute to performance issues.
1. For users experiencing latency, please provide the following:
- Full usernames for at least two to three users.
- Browser/Version and OS is being used, for the same users.
2. Geographically, where are you and the users experiencing this issue located?
3. Please provide specific dates and times (including the time zone) for which slowdowns were experienced. This will help narrow the scope of the search.
4. What pages/sections of CA Agile Central are slow? Are there any specific actions that fail or cause slowdowns? If yes, please provide the details of the actions.
5. Please send us the results after visiting each of the following URLs:
6. Please send us a screenshot of the results after visiting the following URL:
8. Do you know if you are using a proxy? - if you are not sure, please provide what browser you are using and we will send instructions to help.
9. Are the users experiencing this working remotely and connecting through a VPN?
10. Are the users hard-wired to the internet or using WiFi?