When we attempt to use Auto-Scheduling within Open Workbench (OWB), we see a cryptic error message and it does not provide information for resolving the problem. What does this message indicate and how can we resolve the error?
Steps to Reproduce:
- Create an Equipment Resource - do not change the Availability field - by default the field is blank
- Go to the Calendar for this new resource and mark October 12 - 16 as non-working days
- Create a new Labor Resource - do not change the Availability field - by default, typically this value is 8 hours
- Create a new project and add both the Equipment Resource and the Labor Resource as Team Staff Members
- Create three tasks on this project - all with the same date range October 5 - 9, 2015
- Create 'finish-start' dependencies between the 3 tasks so that each task does not start until the last one has finished
- Assign the Labor Resource to Task #1 and Task #3 with ETC greater than zero
- Assign the Equipment Resource to Task #2 with ETC greater than zero
- Open the project in OWB (Read-Write), then click 'Auto-Schedule'
Expected Result: The error message should display a message that can be understood by the end user to take appropriate action. It should say something like 'One or more resources are not available for scheduling; check Resource Availability values'.
Actual Result: The following error message appears in a popup dialog window npWbench 'com.niku.cse.exception.SEErrorObjectException'.
Caused by CLRT-73637
The error message is not descriptive, but serves its purpose to indicate an error occurs and does not impact the functionality of the application.
The development team has reviewed this issue and has determined not to make a change to the error message at this time.
Although the message is not descriptive, it indicates that 'One or more resources are not available for scheduling; check Resource Availability values'.
Check all resources have a non-zero availability. In this scenario, the Equipment Resource did not have a non-zero Availability value although the resource had calendar exceptions and ETC assignments.