Some projects will not open in Microsoft Project (MSP) when exporting from CA PPM with the MSP New Driver. They hang on opening, and there are no errors or warnings generated in the MSP Logs folder in Libraries/Documents.
If you review the XML related to the problem project, the XML appears to fully load as there is a </Project> tag at the end of the file. (For steps on how to enable XML if it is not being generated automatically in the workstation's documents folder, see KB000099202.)
This issue appears to apply to certain Microsoft Project updates including using MSP 2013 SP1 with the March / April 2018 updates and MSP 2016 with February / March 2018 updates.
This is caused by: DE41104
This issue is currently under review as DE41104.
- Downgrade to the Microsoft Project February 2016 update as this issue is not reproducible there.
- While this update is supported in 14.x and higher, downgrading to this update causes risks of other issues that Microsoft has fixed in updates higher then February 2016, so downgrading should be used with caution and only after testing for any side effects.
- For details on supported MSP Updates with CA PPM, see KB000011553
Other known issues related to opening projects in MSP:
Reference KB000071385 - CA PPM and MSP integration - List of Knowledge Documents
- In the MSP New Driver, projects will not open if their are enterprise fields linked to the project (TEC1363954)
- In the MSP New Driver, Unable to open a project in MSP if a Calendar associated with the project has more than 51 characters (TEC1532415)
- Project opened in MSP2013 throws Schedlink MFC Application has stopped working error (TEC1875866)
- In the MSP New Driver, Incorrect Rate Dates are being Exported, Preventing Projects from Opening (TEC1308499)
- MSP New Driver: Project hangs when opening at "writing to XML" step due to a defect fixed in 15.4. (KB000009080)
- MSP Error: 'We're sorry. There seems to be a problem with this file' due to issue with Notes (KB000091838)
Reference KB000015956 - CA PPM and MSP integration known defects - Support Technical Document Index