When opening a project from PPM to Microsoft Project (MSP), ETC hours (Referred to as Remaining Work in MSP) are missing/incorrect even though there are assignments on the task.
MSP New Driver
Solution 1. If you are using the MSP New Driver for CA PPM 14.4 or higher, ensure the latest supported Microsoft Project update is installed on the workstation (see: KB000011553). While the February 2016 Microsoft Project update is the minimum required KB when working with the MSP New Driver in 14.4 or higher, there have been multiple fixes by Microsoft Project in later updates, so it's recommended to be on the latest supported update.
Solution 2. Check to see if any resources assigned to the task are allocated at 0% in the project in PPM for the date the project is exported to MSP, as that is the allocation pulled to the Units field for the task in MSP. If the allocation is 0 for the resource, the ETC will be deleted for the related assignments with tasks using Fixed Unit and Fixed Work task types, as the resource doesn't have any allocation to work on the task.
- Microsoft Project updates are not supported with the MSP Legacy Driver on any CA PPM version.
- Microsoft Project updates are not supported in 14.3 or lower in the MSP New Driver. (If you have any Microsoft Project updates installed with 14.3 or lower, this can cause data issues)
In order to keep ETCs with resources allocated at 0%:
Option 1: Map MSP Assignments Units to the PPM Assignment 'Max % Load':
1. Check the check box for MSP Assignment Units Mapping with PPM Assignment ‘Max % Load’ in Administration-Project Management-Settings.
2. Then update the Max % Load for the assignment:
Note: Be sure to test this out in non production first as this can impact data based on your configuration
- In PPM go to a task that has the issue, and click Options->Configure in the Assignments section of the task
- Bring ‘Max % Load’ over to 'Selected Columns' and save
- Change the 'Max % Load' value for the assignment to 100 (or the desired allocation) and then click Save
Option 2. Change the task type to Fixed Duration, which will keep the ETCs for the task even if the assignment is allocated at 0%
Reference KB000095929 - MSP New Driver: For tasks with no assignee ETCs are being zeroed out
Reference KB000071385 - CA PPM and MSP integration - List of Knowledge Documents
Reference KB000015956 - CA PPM and MSP integration known defects - Support Technical Document Index