MSP Error: Invalid Name for field prexternal ID
Document ID :
Last Modified Date :
Show Technical Document Details
CA PPM SAAS MICROSOFT PROJECT (MSP):ODMSP
CA PPM MICROSOFT PROJECT (MSP):PPMMSP
When attempting to save a Microsoft Project (MSP) project back to PPM, receive the below error:
Invalid value for field prExternalID [Project Manager, Development Manager].
Note: You may see this error multiple times on the save back to PPM when clicking OK.
This error is due to the character length in Text1 for one or more tasks being greater than 16 characters. Text1 is mapped to the Task ID field in PPM and this attribute is is limited to 16 characters.
To resolve this error, reduce the character length of the Text1 field for all tasks in MSP to be less than 16 characters:
1. Open the project in MSP in a Task / Gantt view
2. Add the Text1 column to the view
3. Update all Text1 values to ensure all are less than or equal to 16 characters (and ensure there are no duplicate values in Text1 fields as this can cause a separate error noted in
Tip: If this field contains data being used for the project that is not ID related, you can move any data from Text1 to another Text field not currently in use for mapping (Text1, Text2, and Text3 are PPM reserved fields used in mapping).
- Duplicate Task ID found error when attempting to save project back to PPM
- CA PPM Best Practices when copying and pasting tasks in MSP that provides an overview of Text1, Text2, and Text3 in mapping to PPM.
- CA PPM and MSP integration - List of Knowledge Documents
- CA PPM and MSP integration known defects - Support Technical Document Index
Was this information helpful?