This issue is fixed in CA PPM 15.4.1.
Note: In order to see this fix, (and any other CA PPM MSP Interface fixes) after upgrading CA PPM, the MSP New Driver version on each workstation will also need to be upgraded to the latest driver from PPM's Software Downloads section. This applies to both patches and releases.
- Before installing, first uninstall the existing MSP New Driver components from the workstation which include:
- CAClarityAddin, CA PPM Schedule Connect, CA PPM Microsoft Project Interface
- The latest MSP New Driver can be installed from PPM in Home->Account Settings->Software Downloads. (Ensure the bit level installed matches that of Microsoft Project.)
Option 1: Sometimes, making a change to the Note in PPM, such as removing a '.' at the end of a line in a note that has corruption in the tag helps, but in some instances it keeps coming back.
To determine the first impacted note:
- Drag the XML from the directory on your computer to a Chrome browser window
2. You'll see an error message pointing to the exact line with the first problem note
- See the following KB for steps on how to get the XML file from the workstation for the project: KB000099202
3. Navigate to the problem line item in the XML and take note of the related task
4. Navigate to the task notes section in PPM (Click on the task and then click on the 'Notes' link in the task
5. Click on the properties icon for any note, make a change, and click 'Save and Return'
6. Once that note is corrected, you may need to perform these steps again to find the next line with a problem note
Option 2: If the above that doesn't help, as a temporary workaround, reducing the number of notes in the project has helped to allow the project to open. The Notes information can be stored locally in a document until the issue is resolved where the Notes can then be added back to the tasks. Notes can be deleted via PPM using the following steps:
- Open the XML for the project and do a Control F on key word <notes> to track down tasks that contain notes data
- In PPM, go to the problem project
- Click on the Tasks tab in PPM
- Click on the task with a note
- Click on the Notes link on the right hand side (Note: Project will have to be unlocked to see this link)
- Select all the notes and click ‘Delete’
Note: In rare circumstances, you may run into an error accessing a note in PPM when using the above workarounds. If after deleting other notes, you still can't open the project in MSP, you can try deleting the task completely in PPM (Note that if the task has actuals, you will receive an error that the task can't be deleted, but in MSP, the task will show under a "Deleted Tasks" section, and the Note should then be removed). Before deleting the task, take note of the data in the task including any dates, assignments, etc, as it will need to be recreated.