We are missing a way to limit the maximum number of rows, users can export to Excel by leaving it up to the users that have access to the System Options page in the application administration pages. Currently, "Leave empty for no limit" is allowed on this field, which can lead to a large amount of data exhausting the application resources, causing an out of memory outage. There needs to be a setting in CSA where access can be more strictly controlled, to set the maximum Export to Excel rows that the System Option setting can be set to.
Steps to Reproduce:
- Login as an administrator into the CA PPM application
- Administration, System Options, "Maximum rows for Export to Excel" leave it empty for no limit
- Create a portlet that produces 250,000 rows
- From the portlet, select - [Actions] Export to Excel (Data Only)
Expected Result: A limit set in CSA is reached and user has exported only the reasonable amount of data in Excel
Actual Result: System crashes from an Out Of Memory error
Be sure to set a limit in the CA PPM application - Administration, System Options page.
Resolved in CA Clarity PPM 13.3 Generic Patch. Reference TEC605767
Resolved in CA PPM 14.1
In addition to the field on the application Administration pages, a limitation can now be configured in the CA PPM System Administration (CSA) application.
On Premise Customers: CSA configuration can be updated using the following steps. It is recommended to set the value no higher than 50,000 to prevent out of memory crashes.
- Log in and navigate to the CSA: Server Properties, Application page
- Update the new field 'Maximum rows for Export to Excel' to a non-zero value
- Restart services for changes to take effect
Now that the CSA has a reasonable limit, this will prevent the system from crashing due to no limit specified from the CA Clarity PPM application Administration pages.
On Demand Customers: The limitation is fixed at 25,000.