Is it recommended to install the Engines, on the Domain Manager or a Scalability server?
Client Automation - All Versions
The Engine provides communications services between scalability servers and the domain database.
The functions of the engine include the following:
- Collecting computer inventory from a Scalability server.
- Writing configuration data to a Scalability server.
- Copying of data between enterprise and domain databases (replication).
- Performing dynamic query group evaluation.
- Performing actions related to query group evaluation.
- Executing scheduled reports.
It is much more efficient to have the Engine close to the domain database rather than close to a Scalability server.
The Engine and database connection is considerably busier due to the tasks performed by the Engine and
therefore it is recommended to place the Engine electronically closer to the domain database.
Note: Each Engine uses memory and CPU, so there is a limit to the number of Engines you can have on a Domain Manager,
if you need to take some performance off the Domain, you might need to move some engines to the Scalability servers.