In the new MSP (Microsoft Project) Driver, some task Start Dates change to the Project Start Date when the project is exported to MSP.
This is working by designed. In the MSP New Driver, tasks without specific constraints such as "Start no Earlier Than" or "Must Start On" and no dependencies are exported to MSP as the project start date. If there are dependencies involved, then this may cause tasks dates to be earlier/later depending on the dependency chain setup. In the legacy driver, tasks that do not match the project start date automatically export with constraints.
To add a constraint to a task from within PPM:
1. In PPM, go to Home->Projects then click on the link for the project.
2. Click on the Tasks tab.
3. Click on the link for the task.
4. Select the 'Properties' tab and then click 'Constraints'.
5. Populate a date in one of the Constraints fields based on how you want the task to behave, then click Save and Return.
Constraints can also be added in MSP:
1. Export the project from PPM to MSP.
2. Double click on the task and click on the 'Advanced' tab.
3. Add a Constraint type (other then As Soon As Possible) and Constraint date and click OK.
- To update multiple tasks, you can instead add the Constraint Type and Constraint Date to your Task/Gantt view in MSP and update the fields from the column.
- Other factors can impact dates being exported including
- The Actual Start date of the task, which can override constraints set. Once the % Complete of a task is higher than 0%, this will populate the Actual Start Date which drives the Task Start Date.
- Another factor is non working days or Holidays set on the PPM calendar. This also can cause task Start/Finish dates to be pushed out.
CA PPM 14.x and higher using the MSP new driver.
- Click here to view information on this change, as well as other differences between the MSP Legacy and MSP New driver from the PPM Project Management User Guide
- Reference TEC1606998 : In the MSP New driver, highlighting of tasks is no longer saved
- Reference TEC1545414 : In the new MSP Driver, custom views are not Saved