What is the impact of shutting down and restarting CA Top Secret without doing a system IPL?
While CA Top Secret is down:
- Anyone currently signed on (or any batch job currently running) will continue to process normally, since the user's security record is still in memory.
- Any new initiations (signons, batch submits, etc), will go by the DOWN control option in CA Top Secret. The DOWN control option sets how security checks are handled, when CA Top Secret is 'down'. The default DOWN control option is set to DOWN(BW,SB,TW,OW).
- BW - Batch jobs and password changes (B) will wait for CA Top Secret to be reactivated (W).
- SB - STC initiations (S) will bypass security checking (B).
- TW - TSO logons and password changes (T) will wait for CA Top Secret to be reactivated (W).
- OW - Other online initiations (signons) and password changes (O) will wait for CA Top Secret to be reactivated (W).
For example, when a user tries to sign on to CICS while CA Top Secret is down, what will happen depends on the DOWN option Ox setting. The default is DOWN(OW) which will cause the online initiation (signon) (and password change if there is one attempted) to wait for CA Top Secret to come back up. The other DOWN options for O are:
B (Bypass) - Bypass security checking. Does not invoke CA Top Secret until restarted.
F (Fail) - Fail the request.
N (Normal) - Revert to native security (if any) until CA Top Secret is restarted.
Normally a temporary shutdown and restart of CA Top Secret takes a very short time, so setting OW so online signons wait does not have much of an impact since CA Top Secret should be up and running again shortly.
Most sites use the default DOWN options is because:
- With CA Top Secret down, new initiations can't use CA Top Secret security, because CA Top Secret is not up.
- Therefore, it is recommended that everything wait for CA Top Secret to come back up except started tasks (STC).
- STC is not recommended to be set to WAIT because CA Top Secret is started as an STC. So, if STCs are set to WAIT, the CA Top Secret STC can't start, until CA Top Secret is up. This becomes a gridlock situation.
Please refer to the CA Top Secret Control Options Guide in Chapter 2 for more details about the 'DOWN' control option.