CA's best practice recommendation is to perform custom CABI reporting writing within a non-production environment initially. Once the custom CABI reports have been tested and verified, it is then necessary to promote these custom reports to the production CABI environment.
One of the uses of the Business Objects Import Wizard application is to copy content between CABI environments.
Note: With the following example, the source and destination CABI servers must be able to communicate with each other (i.e. firewall rules and network configuration cannot prohibit communication between CABI environments).
Do ensure to have a full Backup of the Source and Destination CABI Servers so that it is useful for a quick recovery incase something does go wrong. Refer to the CABI Implementation Guide for more details on backup/recovery.
Copy CABI Content Between CABI Environments
- Launch the IMPORT WIZARD program on the destination CABI server (START -> PROGRAMS -> BUSINESS OBJECTS XI 3.1 -> BUSINESSOBJECTS ENTERPRISE -> IMPORT WIZARD)
- Click NEXT on the WELCOME SCREEN
- In the SOURCE window, enter the CMS hostname and BOXI administrator credentials for the SOURCE CABI environment (where you want to get the CABI content from) and click NEXT
- In the DESTINATION window, enter the CMS hostname and BOXI administrator credentials for the DESTINATION CABI environment (where you want to copy the CABI content to) and click NEXT
- On the selection screen, click on CLEAR ALL to clear all selections. Select just the following and click on NEXT:
Import Folders and Objects
Import Repository Objects
- On the IMPORT SCENARIO and INCREMENTAL IMPORT screens, leave the defaults and click on NEXT
- On the FOLDER and OBJECTS screen, select the individual reports and/or report folders you would like to copy and click on NEXT
- Click on NEXT on the SELECT APPLICATION FOLDERS AND OBJECTS screen
- On the IMPORT OPTIONS FOR UNIVERSES AND CONNECTIONS screen, select the 3rd option and click on NEXT
- On the UNIVERSE FOLDER AND UNIVERSES screen, expand CA UNIVERSES and verify that the required Universes have been selected. Click on NEXT
- Leave the defaults for the IMPORT REPOSITORY OBJECT OPTIONS and IMPORT OPTIONS FOR PUBLICATIONS and click on NEXT
- The PREPARING FOR IMPORT screen appears. Once available, click on the FINISH button to start the Import process
Import and Export CABI Universes
- Launch the DESIGNER program on the DSETINATION CABI server (START -> PROGRAMS -> BUSINESS OBJECTS XI 3.1 -> BUSINESSOBJECTS ENTERPRISE -> DESIGNER)
- Enter the credentials for the BOXI ADMINISTRATOR account and click on OK
- Click on TOOLS -> CONNECTIONS. In the CONNECTION LIST window, if there is a duplicate CA Service Desk connection called CA Service Desk (2), select it and click on REMOVE.
- Select FILE -> IMPORT
- Click the top BROWSE button and navigate to the CA UNIVERSES folder and click on OK. The CA SERVICE DESK Universe will appear in the Universe section. Click on OK
- Once the import is complete, click on FILE -> PARAMETERS and click on the TEST button. A message stating 'Connection Successful' should be displayed. Click on OK
- Click on FILE -> SAVE
- Once the save is complete, select FILE ->EXPORT. Select all the groups in the GROUPS section and click on OK
- Once the export is complete, click on the OK button and select FILE->CLOSE
- Repeats steps #4 -#9 for any derived/custom Service Desk Universes copied
- Test the new reports that were copied to the DESTINATION CABI environment to ensure that they work correctly.