As data centers work toward the goal of providing round-the-clock availability of both their systems and applications, CA Datacom provides a solution through use of a Shadow MUF for both planned and unplanned outages on a system running the database engine.
This article will provide links to resources to help understand the functionality and configuration of the Shadow MUF.
The Shadow MUF concept has proven to be very successful for a number of data centers. CA has created video presentations (along with printed copies) that will provide an overview of the concept as well as the process for implementing and operating the Shadow MUF.
- This is a 25-minute presentation given in November, 2006, designed for CA Datacom/AD sites desiring additional configuration information on the facility called Shadow MUF, introduced in r11 SP2. The presentation is called "CA-Datacom/AD Shadow MUF Configuration Steps for Unplanned Outages from Nov 22, 2006", with a printed copy of the presentation available here.
- This is a 60-minute presentation given in June, 2007 as part of the Database Tuning series. In this presentation, implementation and operation of the Shadow MUF are discussed as they relate to both planned and unplanned outages. This session is called "CA Datacom Tuning 109: Continuous Availability", with a printed copy of the presentation available here.
The presentations can also be found by following these steps:
- Log in to CA Support Online as usual;
- Enter DATACOM in the dropdown box, and then select “Product Pages”. This will bring you to the CA Datacom main product page.
- By default you should be in the Recommended Reading section. Scroll down until you can select the CA Datacom Video and Recorded Webcast Index.
- Review the many useful presentation on this page, or find the keyword "Shadow" on the page to locate these presentations.
For more information about the use of the Shadow MUF, please refer to the following Guides.
CA Datacom/DB Version 14.02 Database and System Administration Guide, in the section “Using the Multi-User Facility › Shadow MUF Environment”
CA Datacom/DB Version 15.0 Database and System Administration Guide, in the section “Using the Multi-User Facility › Shadow MUF Environment”
As always, please contact CA Technologies support for CA Datacom if you have further questions.