How you remove an extra data storage location from within Vertica.
Use this procedure to remove an extra data location from within Vertica. One reason you would follow this guide is if you incorrectly add a data location using TEC1388314 and need to remove it to reuse the path.
Performance Management 2.x with Vertica Analytic Database 7.1.x
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A VALID BACKUP BEFORE PROCEEDING
1. The first step is to take a look at your current locations from within Vertica, you can do this by running this query from within vsql:
select node_name, location_path, location_usage, location_label from storage_locations;
2. From here we can proceed with the retiring of the location, the mergeout of the projections from within the location to another location as well as changing the location from a Data location to a Temp location all with one command"
select retire_location ('path' , 'nodeName', true);
3. Once this command finishes you can rerun the query from the first step to see your location in question as a TEMP directory instead of DATA,TEMP.
4. Now we need to drop the location, this can be done via this command:
SELECT DROP_LOCATION('path' , 'nodeName');
5. Again, run the query from step one and you should no longer see the location listed. You are now done.
As always, when working within the database, before you make any changes, make sure you have a valid backup on hand just in case. While it is likely there will be no problem you will save yourself both time and money by having a backup on hand if something does go catastrophically wrong.