To generate the XML and MPP Files:
- If new driver, first ensure that general is set to debug in the logger.properties file to keep the .xml file in the MSP save directory from being removed:
2. Capture the project ID for the project from PPM
- Navigate to your Document\logs folder
- Open the logger.properties file in a text editor
- Set general=debug
- Save your changes to the file
3. Reproduce the issue (If the issue is on opening the project from Clarity PPM, export the project from PPM to MSP. If the issue is saving a project back to PPM, then attempt to Save the project back to PPM)
4. Navigate to the MSP Default Save location (typically the Documents folder)
5. Look for the file(s) with the project ID as the name and the type Microsoft Project Document (which will be the mpp file) and xml (if new Driver)
6. Copy the file(s) and send this to CA Support if requested or if running into an issue with a specific project
7. Once the XML has been captured, set general back to general=error in the logger.properties as the XML can take up a lot of space This is good to use for troubleshooting, but can also take up a lot of space, so make sure to set general back to error when not in use for troubleshooting
Note: If the XML is not generating even after following the steps above, check to see if PPM is connected using Citrix. Citrix is not supported (See: KB000097107), and this is one issue that has been noticed when exporting projects from Citrix Servers.
To provide the MSP Workstation Logs:
1. Ensure debugging is set as listed below:
Make the below changes to the logger.properties file found in the Document/logs folder. To edit the logger.properties file, open the file in a text editor such as Notepad or Microsoft Word. By default, each of the options should be set to 'error'.
archive=error (Note, this option is not yet available, this can be left to the default)
2. Reproduce the issue
3. Close MSP
4. Navigate to your Document\Logs folder
5. Copy the following logs and send to CA Support:
For Save Failed errors:
Additionally, if you are seeing a Save Failed message when attempting to save the project back to Clarity, the app-ca.logs may provide more details on root cause. See KB000113183 for more details on how to get this log.