When opening Attachments in Service Desk from Microsoft Office 2007 products, which have file extensions like .docx, .xlsx and .pptx a zip file with no content appears. There are no error messages seen on the screen.
Attachments in Service Desk are linked to Call Requests, Incidents, Change Orders and Issues.
This problem occurs if the appropriate MIME types for .docx, .xlsx and .pptx are not added to the Internet Information Services (IIS) manager and Tomcat. This document provides information on how to resolve an issue that may be observed while trying to download an attached Microsoft Office 2007 document ex: docx, pptx, xlsx to a service desk ticket, a pop-up is generates indicating to download the file with "zip" extension.
Once the MIME types are added to the web servers used by Service Desk, the Service Desk Attachments will open correctly.
The file extension ".docx" is for a Microsoft 2007 Word Document, ".xlsx" is Microsoft 2007 Excel Document and ".pptx" is Microsoft 2007 Powerpoint.
For Windows when we are running IIS we have to add MIME types as below:
- Go to run and type inetmgr and click on OK.
- Click Web Sites -> Right click on Default website and select Properties.
- Select HTTP Headers
- Select Mime Types
- Enter a new extension(no leading period is required) and the appropriate MIME type
Extension MIME Type.docx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document.xlsx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet.pptx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation
- Recycle the IIS Services.
For Windows when we are running Tomcat we have to add MIME types as below:
- Browse to the location on the ServiceDesk Server $NX_ROOT/bopcfg/www/CATALINA_BASE/conf/ directory.
- Take a backup of the web.xml file located before modifying.
- Search for "Supported MIME Type Mapping", add the below lines at the end.
- Recycle Apache Tomcat services.
To STOP: pdm_tomcat_nxd -c STOP
To START: pdm_tomcat_nxd -c START
To check the STATUS: pdm_tomcat_nxd -c STATUS
WARNING: These changes take place at the Windows operating system level. Please take appropriate precautions/backups to be able to restore to the initial state if the above changes are unsuccessful.