This document details the steps for configuring CA Client Automation / Mobile Device Management (MDM) integration
Prerequisites and Recommendations
Following are the prerequisites for setting-up the integration environment:
1. .Net Framework 4.5 or higher is installed on the computer where the engine is installed.
2. Verify and ensure that Asset Collector is enabled and running. (see step 1 in configuration procedure)
3. Make a note of the MDM server name and user credentials. The user specified while creating CA MDM Asset Integration Engine Task must be able to access the MDM server. Create CA MDM Asset Integration Engine Task.
4. Output folder or path to be used for generated asset XIU files, can be configured as the path for Asset Collector to directly pick-up the asset files. Or you can set the specified output-path value to an existing collector folder for Asset Collector. It can be network path (UNC path) in case of remote Asset Collector is being used. For more information please see the section “Customize XIU_Config_Settings Files”
5. It is recommended not to use Run Always scheduling for CA MDM Asset Integration Engine task , considering the high amount of disk space utilization, usage of memory and CPU cycles resulting slow performance and the impact on the other tasks.
1. Enable and start the Assetcollector service this is done using the caf enable assetcollector command, this is usually done on a Domain Manager machine
2. Start the newly enabled Assetcollector service by issuing the command caf start assestcollector
3. Edit the output path for the XIU files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\DSM\Bin\resources\config
NOTE: You must first change the properties of these files and remove the read only attribute.
The following files need to be changed
C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\DSM\Bin\resources\config\XIU_Config_Settings.xml
C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\DSM\Bin\resources\config\XIU_Config_Settings_Android.xml
C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\DSM\Bin\resources\config\XIU_Config_Settings_BlackBerry.xml
C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\DSM\Bin\resources\config\XIU_Config_Settings_Ios.xml
C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\DSM\Bin\resources\config\XIU_Config_Settings_Win32.xml
C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\DSM\Bin\resources\config\XIU_Config_Settings_WinPhone.xml
You need to change one line in each file to reflect the path for the XIU files.
<output-path value="C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\DSM\AssetCollectorCollect"/>
4. Create CA MDM Asset Integration Engine Task
Open the DSM Explorer window and drill down to - Domain/Control Panel/Engines/All Engines/SystemEngine and right click and select add new Task
Select the task to run and choose the drop down and select CA MDM Asset Integration
Name the Task
Specify the the complete name of the MDM Server and Credentials to connect to the server.
hit the Test the connection button and you should see a successful connection popup
Then hit the Get TenantsList.... button
You should receive this popup and be able to use the drop down list of Tenants and select which to connect to and click Next
This brings up the scheduling screen
Important! It is recommended not to use Run Always, it causes high usage of memory and CPU cycles resulting slow performance of the server and other tasks.
5. Verify task status in DSM Explorer, Notice the status messages next red arrow regarding the task that include, MDM found, processed, status of task and time task took to run.
Once the task completes refresh DSm Explorer and go under all computers and for ease of viewing this data you can set filter for CA MDM and it will show newly discovered MDM items.
If you double click on a device it will bring up the details on the device