When we change the task finish date and save it, the date changes automatically which is not the date you had set nor the date which was in there before but altogether a new date.
Steps to Reproduce:
- Labor Resource - no hire or termination date
- Project ABC having Task ABC with duration 03/01/2015 - 10/31/2015
- Project XYZ having Task XYZ with duration 03/01/2015 - 09/30/2015
- Allocate and assign the resource to both the tasks and this will bring in ETC for this resource in both the task. At this point, the actuals thru column will be empty.
- Enter timesheet actuals for this resource for the time period - 08/10/2015 - 08/16/2015 against only the project ABC - Task ABC. Submit, Approve and post the timesheet.
- Once the timesheet is posted, you can see the Actuals Thru date is populated as 08/16/2015 not just for ABC but also for XYZ.
- Now the Project Manager (PM) decides to reduce the duration of the task XYZ from 09/30/2015 to 06/30/2015. PM changes the finish date of the task to 06/20/2015 and hit save
Expected Result: The finish date changes to 06/30/2015
Actual Result: The finish date changes to 08/16/2015
This really frustrates the PM because there has not been any work done on the task and the duration cannot be changed.
The primary reason for this behavior is the ACTUALS THRU (date) attribute.
How to change the Task End Date which has an Actuals Thru Date set?
Option 1: Since there are no actuals posted against a specific task (Task XYZ), you can remove the resource assignment and add it back. This will clear the Actuals Thru Date and you will be able to change the finish date.
Option 2: If there are actuals in the task assignment, the system won't let you remove the resource assignment. In this case, click the resource assignment properties icon, get into the assignments, mark the ETC as 0 and Save. Now on the task properties page you should be able to change the finish date to something earlier than the Actuals Thru Date. But this won't let you set an earlier date prior to the last Actuals Thru Date entered against this project.
To get more details on what Actuals Thru column means, please check the Project Management Guide.