After an APM agent is installed and reporting to an EM, it shows up as "UnknownAgent" in a workstation and the agent log contains:
- [INFO] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Unable to automatically determine the Agent Name because: The Application Server naming mechanism is not yet available.
- [INFO] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Unable to automatically determine the Agent name before the connection delay timeout.
APM Agents from 9.7 awards
The APM Agent will attempt to find a name for itself through the following sequence of methods.
- Name Specified in Java system property
The agent name is defined using a Java system property on the command line.
Using this method will override any other agent naming method.
- Name specified in System Property Key in Agent Profile
The Agent name is obtained from a Java system property specified in the property, "introscope.agent.agentNameSystemPropertyKey" in theIntroscopeAgent.profile.
- Name obtained automatically from Application Server
If you are using certain versions of WebLogic or WebSphere, the agent name can be automatically obtained from the application server using new automatic agent naming functionality. You can configure a time delay, to give the agent as much time as necessary to determine its name before connecting to the Enterprise Manager.
- Name specified explicitly in agent profile
The agent name is defined in the IntroscopeAgent.profile, in the property, "introscope.agent.agentName". This was the standard method for naming agents in past Introscope versions. Use this option if you already have an agent profile for every application.