What steps do I need to do in order to capture a SYSMDUMP online from an ISPF session?
To capture a SYSMDUMP online, follow the steps below:
- Enter the ISPF PARMS option then select ENVIRON, the ISPF ENVIRON Command Settings screen is displayed. The ENVIRON command can also be used to go
directly to the ENVIRON Command Settings screen.
- Enter "/" to select option on the first line to enable an online abend
/ Enable a dump for a subtask abend when not in ISPF TEST mode
- Ensure DDNAME field is set to SYSMDUMP.
DDNAME . . . SYSMDUMP (DDNAME for TERMTRAC ON, ERROR, or DUMP.)
- PF3 out.
- Allocate a SYSMDUMP dataset.
The dataset can be pre-defined using ISPF 3.2, making sure the dataset has one of the following attributes:
DCB=(LRECL=4160,BLKSIZE=see below,RECFM see below)
RECFM=FBS,BLKSIZE=n*4160 (where n=1,2,3,...),
and ample space CYLS(250,250)
- Access the ISPF COMMAND shell (option 6) and issue the following commands:
ALLOC FI(SYSMDUMP) MOD DA('XXXXXX.XXX.SYSMDUMP')
NOTE: The above DA is the one that has been previously allocated.
NOTE: In an environment where ABEND-AID is active, add the following command to the list in step 6 above, ahead of the ALLOC for SYSMDUMP:
ALLOC FI(ABNLIGNR) DUMMY
This will prevent ABEND-AID from intercepting the dump.
- Recreate the abend. When the abend occurs, ENABLE SUBTASK ABEND will appear on the screen along with a READY prompt.
- Press ENTER. This will write the abend to the SYSMDUMP DD.
- Please terse and upload the SYSMDUMP dataset (in binary) to the ftp directory associated with the support issue.