When there have been significant changes to the TPX VSAM files, such as adding a large number of new users, or if data problems have been identified then it is best to reorganize the VSAM files (sometimes simply referred to as a reorg).
Business requirements often limit the amount of time that TPX can be unavailable, so to minimize this down time these instructions identify what steps can be taken while TPX is still running.
The only time that TPX needs to be down is for the IDCAMS RENAME and RESET INTEGRITY which are both extremely quick to execute.
This should be done during a time of low activity.
To minimize downtime of TPX during backup and restore of TPX VSAM files, you can follow these steps.
- IDCAMS REPRO .DATA only to a new file
- For example: TPX.PROD.ADMIN2.DATA to TPX.PROD.ADMIN2.NEW.FLATFILE
- ensure 50% freespace
- Sort the new flatfile
- Sort starting at position 9 for a length of 17 in ascending order
- DFSORT example: SORT FIELDS=(9,17,A),FORMAT=BI
- define new VSAM file
- For example: TPX.PROD.ADMIN2.NEW
- IDCAMS REPRO sorted flat file to temporary VSAM name
- For example: TPX.PROD.ADMIN2.NEW.FLATFILE to TPX.PROD.ADMIN2.NEW
- Stop TPX
- IDCAMS RENAME
- RENAME TPX.PROD.ADMIN2 to TPX.PROD.ADMIN2.OLD
- RENAME TPX.PROD.ADMIN2.NEW to TPX.PROD.ADMIN2
- Run RESET INTEGRITY using TPX batch
- see sample member BATCHINI
- You can skip this step if you have incorporated RESET INTEGRITY into your TPX PROC. See TEC448130.
- Start TPX
- Verify TPX is working as expected. If not, then reverse the IDCAMS RENAME to reinstate the original file and run RESET INTEGRITY.
Expand all of the above steps so that you include the required TPX VSAM files:
- Only ADMIN2 comes into play for users and profiles.
- Only the file(s) having errors would need reorged (ADMIN1, ADMIN2, MAIL, NOTES, VIEW)
How do I keep my CA TPX Session Management related VSAM files in 'healthy' shape?
What are the considerations for running TPX without shutdown for extended periods of time?
Are there any tips for ensuring that RESET INTEGRITY is always run against TPX VSAM files when required?.