How can I tune a portlet for optimized performance in Clarity? We are experiencing worsening and excessive page load times in our production environment due to a custom portlet we added to the page. Need to assess and performance tune the page load.
Here are some best practices that can help fine tune portlet/page load time:
1. Set “Don’t show results until I filter” on portlets. This will improve initial load time.
2. End users can create their own default filters using the manage filters option, instead of using “Show all” in filtering.
o If the portlet returns a large amount of data, setting a default filter that returns a smaller amount of results will help in optimizing performance.
3. Set Attribute Value Protection (AVP) to faster setting of “Use only secured subpages to protect attribute values on this list” instead of “Use display conditions and secured subpages to protect attribute values on this list”.
4. Remove unnecessary Aggregation rows.
o Be sure the row is removed, and not just hidden, as the row will still calculate if it’s configured and not marked “Show”
o Each row causes additional calculations which can slow down the portlet
5. Limit the amount of columns configured in the portlet.
o Recommended amount of columns returned to be limited to 10-15.
6. Limit the amount of portets on pages/tabs in Clarity.
7. If on Clarity 13.3 or lower, diasble pop-ups for resource portlets in Clarity, due to a known defect. See KB: Performance Issue on pages of Resource portlets if Pop-ups are enabled.