We're in the process of migrating all of our Oracle databases from Oracle 9i to Oracle 10G. Can you please tell me if we need to account for any special considerations when copying our policy store database and schema to the new 10G server? Currently, our DBA has not confirmed if he will move or not the information from the 9i database to the 10g database.
Would it be easier to use smobjimport/smobjexport? If so, please send me a step-by-step migration guide that we should use for the upgrade.
There are two options:
- The Database Administrator is going to move your information from the Oracle database version 9i to the oracle database version 10g.
In this case you only have to change the Data Source to point to the Oracle Database 10g. On Unix platforms you may need to modify the system_odbc.ini file under $NETE_PS_ROOT directory in order to reflect the new IP address, username, password and port of the database server, on windows systems this is done in the Microsoft ODBC Administrator.
- This is a new system and nobody is going to move the information.
You may need to move it by yourself as described in SiteMinder Installation Guide - Chapter 4: Configuring SiteMinder Data in a Relational Database - Migrate an Existing Policy Store into a Relational Database:
Migrate an Existing Policy Store into a Relational Database Using the smobjexport and smobjimport tools, you can migrate policy store data from other types of LDAP into database policy stores or move policy stores in one database to another.
The following list identifies the supported migrations:
- Oracle/SQL Servers to LDAP
- Oracle/SQL Server to Oracle/SQL Severs
- LDAP to Oracle/SQL Server
The following procedure assumes you have created a SiteMinder data store in either an Oracle database or a SQL Server database to which you will export your data. Details exist in How to Configure a SiteMinder Data Store in a SQL Server Database (see page 118) and How to Configure a SiteMinder Data Store in an Oracle Database (see page 124).
- Please note that only the Data Direct Wire Protocol drivers has been certified to work with SiteMinder Policy Server.
- This KB applies to SQL Server migrations as well.