Clients sometimes need to prevent accidental or purposeful uninstallation of CA Client Automation Agents off of Administrator privileged users machines.
This document details how you can prevent this by hiding the option to uninstall the CA Client Automation Agents in the Add/Remove Programs.
CA Client Automation 12.8 , 12.9
Hiding the Agent from Add/Remove Programs
In most organizations the end user does not have the authority to install or uninstall software on their computer. However, for some users (for example, software developers) that need Admin privileges in order to perform their daily tasks, you can help reduce their risk of inadvertently removing the DSM Agent by hiding its entries in the Add or Remove Programs list.
Hiding the Add or Remove Programs is done by marking them as System Components.
This is done by adding 'SystemComponent'=dword:00000001 to each of the entries found under '[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall' listed in the following table:
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry.
Before you modify the registry, make sure to create back up of the registry and ensure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem may occur.
For more information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, please review the relevant Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on support.microsoft.com.
To add this value do the following steps
1. Run at a command line run "regedit"
2. browse to '[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall"
3. On the top of the registry screen click on "Edit" find enter the GUID from the table below
4. This will bring you to the GUID it finds, in this screenshot the CA DSm Agents + Asset Management plugin (English only)
make sure the path is as highlighted on the task bar
5. right lick on the GUID and select "New" make it a 32 bit DWORD 32-bit Value and name it 'SystemComponent' click ok
6. double click the 'SystemComponent' and add the value of 1.
7. Cycle caf by issuing caf stop/start
|CA Unicenter DSM Agent + Basic Inventory Plugin||501C99B9-1644-4FC2-833B-E675572F8929|
|CA Unicenter DSM DMPrimer||5933CC13-52AB-4713-85DB-E72034B5697A|
|CA Unicenter DSM Agent + Asset Management Plugin||624FA386-3A39-4EBF-9CB9-C2B484D78B29|
|CA Unicenter DSM Agent + Software Delivery Plugin||62ADA55C-1B98-431F-8618-CDF3CE4CFEEC|
|CA Unicenter DSM Agent + Remote Control Plugin||84288555-A79E-4ABD-BA53-219C4D2CA20B|
|CA Unicenter DSM Agent + Data Transport Plugin||C0C44BF2-E5E0-4C02-B9D3-33C691F060EA|
|CA Unicenter Desktop & Server Management||C163EC47-55B6-4B06-9D03-2A720548BE86 InstallShield_C163EC47-55B6-4B06-9D03-2A720548BE86|
8. You can verify that the agent option that you selected to hide is in fact hidden in the add remove programs list (refresh screen in control panel)
9. Repeat these steps for all of the components you wish to hide from add remove programs.