Please consider doing the following to remedy this situation:
1. In the SSMCNTL rule, find code for the group commands. This calls SSMGROUP OPS/REXX program.
2. Change SSMGROUP to SSMGRPU or some other name like it.
3. Re-enable and auto-enable the SSMCNTL rule.
4. In your user.OPSMVS.REXX dataset, change the member name SSMGROUP to SSMGRPU or your other chosen name.
5. Test this for positive results.
This should result in using your user modified SSMCNTL REXX rule program member instead of our 12.3 default SSMGROUP REXX rule program.