I'm getting a "could not initialize JAVAVM" error message when I’m trying to create a JDBC connection profile to a PostgreSQL DB.
How can I configure a PostgreSQL connection? I didn't find any clear documentation on the CA website.
I have installed PostgreSQL 9.3 and have copied postgresql-9.3-1103.jdbc3.jar into C:\Program Files (x86)\Grid-Tools\GTDatamaker\lib
Incompatible PostgresSQL Driver vs JAVA Virtual Machine (JVM) version.
Per the documentation on the wiki - https://docops.ca.com/ca-test-data-manager/3-6/en/installing/supported-data-sources
Download the driver from https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html and https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/postgresql/postgresql/9.4-1201-SNAPSHOT/ from the PostgreSQL web site. They have provided a table that lists what version of their software goes with which version of JAVA.
To determine JDK/JVM compatibility this following list matches up versions of the JVM with the JDBC specification implemented.
* JDK 1.1 - JDBC 1. Note that with the 8.0 release JDBC 1 support has been removed, so look to update your JDK when you update your server.
* JDK 1.2, 1.3 - JDBC 2.
* JDK 1.3 + J2EE - JDBC 2 EE. This contains additional support for javax.sql classes.
* JDK 1.4, 1.5 - JDBC 3. This contains support for SSL and javax.sql, but does not require J2EE as it has been added to the J2SE release.
* JDK 1.6 - JDBC4. Support for JDBC4 methods is not complete, but the majority of methods are implemented.
* JDK 1.7 - JDBC41. Support for JDBC4 methods is not complete, but the majority of methods are implemented.
* JDK 1.8 - JDBC42. Support for JDBC4 methods is not complete, but the majority of methods are implemented.
Now we have the version of their software for JDK 1.8 – JDBC4. Note that it is not in the table as a supported JAVA for build 9.3 Build 1103. Please refer to their web site for the latest details.
You have 2 choices at this point. Download the latest Build 9.4.1209 JDBC42 to support JAVA 8 or downgrade your JAVA version to 1.7 to support the PostgresSQL driver you downloaded if you must run 9.3 Build 1103.