Steps to collect inventory for external assets
Unicenter Asset Management requires the following objects for recognizing external assets:
- An external asset definition
- A MIF file that has the asset information
It checks whether the recognition item in any of the external asset definition matches the values in the MIF file. If a match is found, the engine collects the information configured in the external asset definition, creates a new external asset with the given name and deletes the file from the collect area.
If not, the engine just deletes the MIF file. Creates the All External Assets node if it does not exist and creates a new external asset entry under it.
- Create External Asset Definition
External asset definitions define how to recognize an external asset. Once defined, the engine can recognize the asset and collect inventory from the asset.
- To configure the external assets:
Navigate to the Domain --> Control Panel --> Configuration --> External Asset Recognition folder --> Click New.
The Create new External Asset Class Definition dialog appears.
Click Open MIF Browser.
The Select MIF Item dialog appears with the items in the selected MIF file
Drag the relevant items to the Create new External Asset Class Definition dialog and click OK.
The external asset definition is created under the External Asset Recognition folder.
- Copy the MIF file that has the external asset information to the collect area Windows: C:\Program Files\ca\Unicenter DSM\ServerDB\SECTOR\COLLECT
- The engine collects this file and processes it. When it finds the recognition item in the MIF file, it creates a new external asset and places it under the All External Assets folder.
- External Asset in DSM can be classed as any Asset within your organization that does not run a DSM Agent. It can be added to your MDB, Can be Grouped or Queried. But cannot run DSM Jobs and No Software inventory.
Note: You must restart the DSM Explorer to display the All External Assets node for the first time (It will be displayed under "Computers and Users")
Also request you to review the following link:
support.ca.com/irj/portal/phpdocs?filePath=0/common/greenbooks.html and check for CA IT Client Management/CA Unicenter Desktop and Server Management - Chapter 15 "Asset Collector" for more information about the collect structure.