Two Organizational Breakdown Structures (OBS) have been created with some specific units. We are now attempting to create a new Entity, selecting these two OB Structures, but the application is generating an error message. What does the error message mean and how do we resolve the message so the Entity can be created?
ERROR: The OBS chosen contains unique codes that are of lengths greater than that allowed for location / department
Steps to Reproduce:
- Login to CA PPM application as an administrator user
- Administration, OBS - Create two new OBS Units
- Add some new Units in both OBS using 'Quick Create' where the name is longer than 20 characters (no OBS ID specified - it is not a required field)
- For example: Creating OBS Unit names like 'Corporate Location 2000134' and 'Corporate Location 2000135'
- Administration, Financial Management: Setup, Entities - Click 'New' button to create a new Entity, selecting the two OBS for Location OBS and Department OBS
- Fill in all other required fields, click 'Save' button
Expected Result: The new Entity should be created
Actual Result: An error message appears stating that there are records where the OBS Unit ID is longer than the allowable length and because the first 20 characters are the same in the provided example, they also seem to be non-unique.
When creating standard OBS Units, the application allows for a 'Quick Create' where the OBS Unit ID Code is not required.
Upon selecting the structure for use in creating a new Entity, the application will attempt to use the OBS Name field for the OBS Unit ID Code field.
The OBS Unit ID field only allows 20 characters, therefore the error message is generated.
To resolve the error message, go into the OBS Units and create unique OBS Unit ID values before you create the new Entity.