If the user (running DMS server and update service) is having adequate permission on the install directory and on UpdateService directory inside install directory, they should be able to run the patch and they will be able to stop the respective services and retain correct permission.
Below is the check list which should be performed as in most of the cases it was observed this check list items either skipped or missed in total.
- Both the services i.e. DMS and nolio_update_service get installed at run-levels and it is only done by root or account with same privileges.
- Prefer to installed patch with user owning RA service
- Validate service rights (owner) before running the patch
- Validate RA owner (file system) before patch is installed
- When we install the product as non-root user, the auto-run services cannot be installed, this required root permissions as explained during installation guides. In this case, we need to make sure that the config files of the service includes the RUN_AS_USER with value so the service that will be triggered as root at host startup will know which owner to use for starting the services